August 26, 2015 Update Work is scheduled to begin at PAWS Pond on August 31 - Sept 23rd. Traffic closures on 44th Ave W are planned for Aug 31 - Sept 1 and on 153rd Pl SW on Sept 2 and 3rd.
The Surface Water Management Division of Snohomish County Public Works will modify the existing regional stormwater pond (PAWS pond) located northeast of the intersection of 44th Avenue W and 153rd Place SW. This project will reduce localized flooding and roadway flooding due to the existing storage capacity of the pond, reduce maintenance issues, and increase downstream water quality.
The project improvements include:
• Excavation inside the pond and along the perimeter slopes to provide additional storage capacity
• Installation of fencing around the entire pond perimeter
• Construction of a maintenance access road into the pond
• Provision of a primary and secondary overflow structures
• Construction of an improved outlet debris barrier
• Enhancements to the pond to provide water quality benefits
• Addition of new stormwater conveyance pipes and structures on 44th Avenue W
Note: The cluster box unit (mailboxes) located on the east side of 44th Avenue W near PAWS (15305 44th Avenue W) will be temporarily moved from north of the PAWS driveway to the south side of the driveway for a two-week period.
Construction is expected to occur during summer 2015.
As part of the work, there will be two short-term road closures in the area. During these times, local traffic will be allowed access to closed roads and driveways via detours. Closures include:
• A 2-day road closure on 153rd Place SW between 44th Avenue W and 45th Place W with local access via 45th Place W and 153rd Place SW
• A 2-day road closure on 44th Avenue W between 152nd Street SW and 153rd Place SW with local access via 152nd Street SW and 44th Avenue W
Reminder: Drivers are expected to follow detour signs and obey temporary traffic revisions.