Index-Galena Rd: MP 6.4-6.9 - Flood Damage Repair
Snohomish County Public Works has repaired 10 of the 11 originally damaged areas from the 2006 heavy rains that severely impaired Index-Galena Road. Currently, Milepost 6.4 to 6.9 is the only area left to repair and remains closed to traffic. This portion of road was considered a total loss with significant portions of pavement, road bed, and culverts damaged by the flooding. .
Index-Galena Road was damaged by additional river flooding in November 2015. Access is available to the east end of Index-Galena Road, via US 2 to Beckler River Road to Jack's Pass.
From the east the road opens to National Forest lands for general recreation, camping and mineral claims along the North Fork Skykomish, Salmon Creek and Silver Creek drainage basins. Troublesome Creek and San Juan Campground are also accessible from the east. The Forest Service has a gate on the Forest Service road past Troublesome Creek.
Jack Pass Maintenance
Snohomish County is in a ten year agreement with the USFS to help maintain Beckler River Road which includes the road through Jack Pass. Both agencies meet annually to discuss repairs and maintenance needed to keep the road in working condition. The road through Jack Pass will remain unplowed and closed during the winter months. While seasonal conditions vary from year to year, the pass typically is open to use in late May through early November.
- Index Galena Road - MP 6 / Trout Creek Bridge No. 494 -Weight limits in effect: 19 tons / 3-axle truck, 26 tons / 5-axle truck, 30 tons / 6-axle truck
- Index Galena Road - MP 9 / Howard Creek Bridge No. 496 - A 5-ton weight limit is in effect
Environmental Review Documents
NOTICE OF AVAILABILITY OF THE FINDING OF NO SIGNIFICANT IMPACT - The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) signed a determination of Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) on April 14, 2017. This finding is based upon the evaluation of the Environmental Assessment (EA) as issued on September 19, 2016, and thoughtful consideration of public and agency input, including comments received at the public hearing on October 12, 2016 for the Index-Galena Road Milepost 6.4-6.9 project.
- Notice of Availability
- Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI)
- FONSI Appendix 5: NEPA Email Comments
- Early 2017 – Final Engineering and permitting has begun on Milepost 6.4-6.9 of Index-Galena
- Summer 2017- Construction on the Howard Creek Bridge at Milepost 9.014 on Index Galena is estimated to begin
- Spring 2018- Construction is targeted to begin on Milepost 6.4-6.9 of Index-Galena Road pending permits and funding availability
- October 2016 Open House
- Other Documents
For More Information
- Forest Service information about the area
- Skykomish Ranger District, 360-677-2414
- Contact Your Legislator