Code Enforcement responds to citizen complaints regarding building, zoning, land use, and nuisance issues in unincorporated Snohomish County. Complaints are investigated to determine if there is a violation, the extent of the violation, and the appropriate action required. Code Enforcement Officers work with all affected parties to resolve or mitigate violations.
How to Report a Suspected Violation
- A suspected code violation may be reported in writing by:
- Completing an Online Complaint Investigation Request.
- Downloading and printing the Complaint Investigation Request Form and returning it to our office after completion.
- Calling 425-388-3650 and requesting a complaint form be mailed to you to complete and returned.
- Picking up a complaint form at our office on the second floor of the county Administration East Building, 3000 Rockefeller Avenue, Everett, Washington, and returning it to our office after completion.
- Or, you can submit a completed, printed complaint by:
- Mailing your form to:
PDS Code Enforcement
3000 Rockefeller Ave., M/S 604
Everett, WA 98201
- Faxing the form to 425-388-3084
- Hand-delivering the form to the second floor of the Administration East Building
- Mailing your form to:
Information required on the form includes:
- A detailed description of the violation.
- The name of the person causing the violation (if known).
- An accurate location (including address) of the alleged violation must be given, and a valid address or tax parcel number. You may access SCOPI Property Information Maps for more help.
- The property tax account number or legal description of the property (if known).
- Your name and telephone number. Complainants can remain anonymous, but must provide their contact information in the event the investigating officer needs further information.
The complainant will be notified of receipt of the complaint and given the Code Enforcement officer contact information for follow-up on the case. Cases can also be tracked through our Permit Search webpage.
Code Enforcement Procedures
Read about adopted Enforcement Procedures in Snohomish County Code.
Complaints Handled by Code Enforcement
- Building setbacks
- Construction without a permit
- Dangerous buildings
- Endangered Species Act (lakes and streams)
- Fences/Retaining Walls
- Flood Hazard Area violations
- Grading - excavation/filling
- Home occupations
- Illegal placement of mobile homes
- Junk and/or Junkyard Conditions
- Noise problems with commercial/industrial activities
- Oversized and illegally placed signs
- Right-of-Way usage
- Shoreline violations
- Travel trailer and recreational vehicle violations
- Zoning Code violations
Other Code Enforcement Related Links:
- Dispute Resolution Program Assistance in resolving conflicts peacefully outside of court, including landlord/tenant issues.
- Recycling Information County recycling information.
- Assessor’s Property Information Detailed property information including taxes, acreage, and structure information.
- Snohomish Health District 425-339-5250 - Report onsite sewage system problems, garbage/rodent problems, or other environmental health problems.
- Sheriff’s Office. Call 9-1-1 to report noise problems (except construction), vehicles on county-maintained roads, or trespassing issues.
- Snohomish County Department of Public Works 425-388-3488 - Report road drainage and maintenance, abandoned cars within the right-of-way, traffic signs and signals, road water drainage, retention or run-off, unauthorized signs or obstructions in the right-of-way.
- Puget Sound Clean Air 1-800-552-3565 - Report pollution or odors.
- Department of Ecology 425-649-7000 - Report groundwater/soil contamination.