Code Enforcement

Code Enforcement responds to citizen complaints regarding building, zoning, land use, and nuisance issues in unincorporated Snohomish County. Complaints are investigated to determine if there is a violation, the extent of the violation, and the appropriate action required. Code Enforcement Officers work with all affected parties to resolve or mitigate violations.

What we DO NOT handle

  • Public disturbance noises
  • Parking complaints
  • Property line disputes
  • Tenant/Landlord disputes
  • Reports of drug activity
  • Squatters or homeless encampments
  • Septic system problems
  • Rodent or household garbage issues
  • Mold, pollution, or other environmental health issues
  • Public road drainage and maintenance issues
  • Abandoned car in the right-of-way
  • Traffic signs and signals
  • Water retention or runoff

river running through a forest

What we DO handle

  • Building setback violations
  • Construction without a permit
  • Dangerous buildings
  • Fences/Retaining walls
  • Junk and/or Junkyard Conditions
  • Noise problems (other than public disturbance noises)
  • Oversized and illegally placed signs
  • Right-of-Way (driveway, filling)
  • Travel trailer and recreational vehicle violations
  • Zoning Code violations
  • Flood hazard, critical areas, or shoreline violations
  • Land disturbing activities (clearing, grading, excavation)
  • Home occupations
  • Illegal placement of mobile homes
  • Zoning code violations
Snohomish County Sheriff's Office Click to visit the Sheriff's Office website
Noise complaints in residential areas
Parking complaints
Drug activity, squatting, and homeless encampments
Call your local landlord/tenant's union: 425-339-1335 Tenant/Landlord disputes
Snohomish County Health District Click to visit the Health District website
Rodents, household garbage, mold, pollution, or other environmental health hazards
Septic systems
Snohomish County Public Works Click to visit the Public Works website
Road drainage and maintenance issues
Abandoned cars in the right-of-way
Traffic signs and signals
Water retention or runoff
Obstructions of right-of-way or unauthorized signs

All complaints must be submitted using our Investigation Request Form. We do not accept complaints by phone or email. You can file your request:

  • Online. This is the best way to submit your complaint. Use our Online Complaint Investigation Request.
  • By mail. If you don’t have access to a computer, call 425-388-3650 to have a complaint form mailed to you.
  • This option is not currently available. See COVID-19 alert above:

    Pick up a complaint form from the PDS office at 3000 Rockefeller Ave, 2nd floor (Robert Drewel building)
  • Download our Investigation Request form and mail it to the address below.

Return your completed form to:

PDS Code Enforcement
3000 Rockefeller Ave. M/S 604
Everett WA 98201


Complaints submitted with false or invalid complainant information cannot be processed. If you’ve provided incomplete or incorrect address or parcel number information for the violation, we cannot process your complaint. Please see the "What Information Is Required To Submit A Complaint" section to learn what must be submitted for a complaint to be investigated.

All complaints require the following:

  • Your Information. A valid address and phone number. Complaints submitted with false or invalid complainant information are not processed.
  • Violator's Information. You must provide a valid street address or parcel number where the violation has occured. Complaints submitted with false or invalid violator information are not processed.

Can I remain anonymous?

Yes, you may remain anonymous; However, your name must be disclosed if you are identified as a witness in an administrative or court proceeding concerning this matter, or if otherwise required by an administrative or court order.

After we process your complaint, complainants receive a postcard in the mail with a case number and the assigned Code Enforcement Officer's name and contact information

Please call the Code Enforcement Officer directly for the status of your complaint.

I want more information about this complaint
If you've received a complaint against your property, please contact your assigned Code Enforcement Officer for more information.

I'd like to meet with someone
Please call your assigned Code Enforcement officer to schedule an appointment before stopping by our offices. Our officers are in the field most of the day and it's best to schedule an appintment if you'd like to talk with them in person.

How do I contact my officer?
If you don't know who your assigned officer is, please call 425-388-3650 and we'll assist you.