Commercial Building Permits

Commercial Building permits are needed for the following buildings and structures:

  • Commercial Buildings (new and additions)
  • Multifamily Housing Units (Apartment Buildings, Condominiums, and Townhomes)
  • Tenant Improvements
  • Antennas
  • Personal Wireless Telecom Facilities
  • Signs and Billboards
  • Retaining Walls

Permits may be required for mechanical, plumbing, and fire systems in commercial buildings.  These include:

  • Plumbing (fixtures, water heaters, drains)
  • Mechanical (appliances, ventilations, heating/cooling systems)
  • Fire Alarms Systems
  • Fire Sprinkler Systems
  • Fire Pumps
  • Underground Supply Main (Fire)
  • Gates or Barricades across fire apparatus access road
  • Marijuana Extraction Systems

To apply for any of these permits, go to For more information on how to apply online, see the information on the following page: Online Permitting | Snohomish County, WA - Official Website (

building under construction