Right-of-Way Use

Planning and Development Services is responsible for certain permitting activities in the county right-of-way such as: creating a driveway to a new home, building public roads in a new housing subdivision, or installing utilities such as sewer beneath a heavily traveled road. Right-of-way use permit types other than utility work, are typically associated with other permit reviews associated with the proposed project. Information and requirements for these types of Right-of-Way use permits will be provided directly via email to the applicant after the initial project review. 

Other types of permits and agreements such as temporary road closures, utility franchise agreements, right of way vacations and road establishments, political signs, fences, etc. are administered by the Public Works Customer Service Center.

Development Acceptance & Bond Administration

Any development project, no matter how big or small, which will encompass any work within the public’s right-of-way, is reviewed for compliance with Title 13, Snohomish County Road Ordinance, and Title 30, Snohomish County Unified Development Code. During this review process, it is determined which of these ordinances (or both) govern the project. A bond may be required from the applicant prior to permit issuance to guarantee construction, restoration, and performance of the installed facilities.

Delayed Construction of the Final Lift of Asphalt (HMA)

Applicants can request the delayed installation of the final lift of HMA on a new public or private road per PDS Director’s Rule 18- 02. Note: Delaying the final lift of HMA for frontage improvements is not allowed.

Per PDS Director’s Rule 18-02, the applicant must submit a letter of request (or email) that includes the following:

Bonding requirements are subject to Titles 13 and 30 SCC, specifically SCC 13.10.104 through 13.10.114 (Public Road) and Chapter 30.84 SCC (Private Road). For more information regarding potential project bonding requirements for proposed construction in the public right-of-way, please contact Shawn Toevs at (425) 262-2208.

County Road Utility Construction

Utility Permit Process (PDF)

Utility Construction Plan Requirements (PDF)

Utility Application Submittal Checklist (PDF) (Updated May 20, 2018)

Right-of-Way Use Utility Application (PDF)
Utility Pre Design Review

EDDS Deviation for projects vested on or after September 30, 2010 (PDF)

Small Project Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP)

Erosion Control BMPs

Access (Driveway) Permits

An Access Permit application is required if you wish to install a driveway that connects to a county maintained road. 

The Access Permit fee is $360.50.  Email the completed application with a site plan to the Right of Way Construction Applications Submittal address of SCD-.RightofWay@snoco.org.  When received and processed, the fee will be charged and is due prior to issuance of the permit.

Additional Access Permit information:

  • Access Permit Application (PDF)
  • See Snohomish County Code SCC 13.60 for more information on access permits 
  • See Engineering Design and Development Standards Chapter 2 – for more information on access standards and requirements
  • Access Permits are for access from a county maintained road only.  If you will be taking direct access to your property from an existing private road for your single family project, an access permit will not be required.
  • If you are proposing access from a new private road that will connect to a county road, an access permit is required for the connection of the new private road to the county maintained road.
  • If you, or a commercial logger, are performing logging activity and will be creating a new access, an access permit is required.  If you will be using an existing access, a permit may be required.
  • If you wish to construct a secondary access that connects to a county road, an access permit is also required.  The application and approval of a secondary access will be reviewed for compliance with the Engineering Design and Development standards and county code.
  • Access permits are for work within the public right of way only.  Access Permits do not imply or provide approval for a private driveway or private road construction or any future development you may choose to do on your property.  
  • Access for land development use (other than single family): will require a different type of right of way permitting which will be determined during the construction review phase of the Land Use application.
  • If you have any questions regarding Access permits, contact 425-388-3385

County Road Access Application (PDF)

Questions or comments regarding this web page