RCW 11.130 Guardianships and Conservatorships

On January 1, 2022, RCW 11.88 is replaced with RCW 11.130, also known as the Uniform Guardianship Act.  A guardianship of the person will remain “Guardianship of the Person” while a guardianship of the estate is now titled  “Conservator of the Estate.”  The following will help you understand what this change means for you:

Current Letters of Guardianship

If you have current letters of guardianship, you do not need to do anything differently until your next reporting/letter renewal deadline.  Banks, medical providers, etc., should accept Letters of Guardianship issued under RCW 11.88.

Submission of reports/Renewal of Letters of Guardianship

If you need to renew your Letters of Guardianship, Snohomish County has adopted the state form for reporting for the person and/or the estate (conservator).  You can download the form on the Washington Courts Website: Washington State Courts - Court Forms - All forms Related to Guardianships, Conservatorships, or Other Protective Arraignments.  If you have a current guardianship, you are required to file a Guardian/Conservator’s Plan 90 days after your guardianship reports are approved, the form is available on Washington Courts  You may submit this form to the Guardianship Monitoring Program for presentation to the Court.  Per RCW 11.130.

Service of Documents on Person under the Guardianship/Conservatorship and Interested Parties

IMPORTANT:  RCW 11.130 requires that guardians/conservators serve a copy of any document filed with the Court on the person under the guardianship/conservatorship as well as any interested parties.  Any documents or reports you file with the Court  must be accompanied with a Proof of Service.

Remember if you have current Letters of Guardianship, you do not need to do anything differently until it is time to renew your letters of guardianship.

If you have any questions regarding the changes to the guardianship laws, you may consult an attorney or call the Guardianship Monitoring Program and we will do our best to assist you.


Contact Information

For volunteer opportunities, please contact Mitchell Peterson at 425-388-3737.

Superior Court is accepting applications for a contract attorney list in Adult Guardianships, Conservatorships and Other Protective Arrangements.
 See details Here