Customer Service Center

The Customer Service Center conducts business via phone, online, email and in person. Services at the county campus are available to the public from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Customers are urged to use online and phone services for their convenience. County staff monitors email several times daily and will respond as promptly as possible. 


Our Services to You

The Public Works Customer Service Center provides services in the following areas:

Right of Way Permits 

Applications for SCC Title 13 Type A, B, C and E permits for work in the county right of way, such as temporary road closures, utility franchises, right of way vacations and road establishments, political signs, fences, etc. View information.

Public Disclosure Requests

Snohomish County Code requires public records requests to be directed to any department public records specialist or to Snohomish County's Public Records Officer. Please submit any public records requests to a designated specialist to ensure that it is received and processed most efficiently.


Call or email us for further information regarding:

  • Aerial photos, 1947 to current. View Order Form
  • Historical road information
  • Road deed information
  • Road designations and dedications
  • Road surveys

Right-of-Way Code Violation Investigation Requests

To report a right-of-way code violation or make another type of code-related citizen complaint for structures in the right-of-way, including signs, fences, retaining walls, landscaping, etc., use the online Right of Way Investigation Request.

We can provide answers to inquiries and complaints about road rights-of-way located in unincorporated Snohomish County only. Inquiries regarding property/zoning complaints should be directed to Planning and Development Services. Please contact the city planning department if the property in question is located within the city limits or WA State Dept. of Transportation if your questions regard state highways.