Supplemental Life Insurance
Regular employees may elect to purchase Supplemental Life Insurance for themselves, their spouse or domestic partner, and dependent children up to the age of 26.
You may apply for coverage in increments of $10,000. You may apply for a minimum of $10,000 in coverage up to 5 times your annual earnings or $300,000, whichever is less. Newly eligible employees must enroll within 30 days from their date of hire/date of becoming newly eligible to elect up to the Guaranteed Issue (GI) amount without submitting evidence of good health requiring a Personal Health Application (PDF) (PHA). The GI amount for employees is $150,000. If you elect more than $150,000, increase your current coverage, or apply at any time other than when newly eligible, you must complete a PHA, to be approved by The Hartford.
Spouse (or Domestic Partner) Coverage
You may apply for coverage for your spouse in increments of $5,000. You may apply for a minimum of $5,000 in coverage up to the lesser of $150,000 or 50% of the employee’s combined Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance coverage. Newly eligible spouses/domestic partners must enroll within 30 days from the employee’s date of hire/date of becoming newly eligible or 30 days from the date of a new marriage/domestic partnership to elect up to the Guaranteed Issue (GI) amount without submitting evidence of good health requiring a Personal Health Application (PDF) (PHA). The GI amount for spouse/domestic partners is $30,000. If you elect more than $30,000 for your spouse/domestic partner or if you apply (or increase coverage) at any time other than when newly eligible, your spouse/domestic partner must complete a PHA, to be approved by The Hartford. If your spouse is also a County employee, they cannot be added to your plan and they must apply for employee coverage.
Supplemental Life Insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment
If you would like to elect Supplemental Life Insurance please complete the following:
- Life Insurance & LTD form (with additional amount requested) and submit to Human Resources
- Personal Health Application and submit to Hartford
- Life Insurance Beneficiary Designation Form and submit to Human Resources, if updates are needed
If you would like to elect Supplemental AD&D coverage, please complete the Life Insurance & LTD form.
You may enroll your children in $5,000 in coverage for $.50 per month, or $10,000 in coverage for $1.00 per month. Coverage is for all of your eligible dependent children, from their date of birth to the last day of the month in which they turn 26. Children may be enrolled at any time during the year and do not need to submit evidence of good health. If you have children with another County employee, only one of you may insure that child.
Monthly premium contributions (PDF) (excluding children coverage) are based on rates, the covered individual’s age and election amount January of each year. Premiums will automatically increase every 5 years during the month of December in which the covered individual moves to the next age bracket.
Your beneficiaries for Supplemental Life Insurance will be the same as your Basic Life Insurance Beneficiaries. To select/change your life insurance beneficiaries, complete the Beneficiary Designation Form (PDF). You are encouraged to review your beneficiary designation(s) periodically or following life-changing events to ensure that the designation is still appropriate. Review the Employee's Guide to Designating Beneficiaries (PDF) to learn more. Contact Human Resources to review your current life insurance beneficiaries.
- If you are eligible for the GI and were hired between the 1st and the 15th of the month, your coverage is effective the first day of the month following your date of hire.
- If you are eligible for the GI and were hired between the 16th and the 31st of the month, your coverage is effective the first day of the second month following your date of hire.
- If you apply for more than the GI, increase your current coverage, or apply at any time other than when newly eligible, the effective date is based off of when The Hartford approves your request. The Hartford will mail you a decision letter.
Certificate of Insurance
Coverage is through The Hartford Life Insurance Company:
- Customer Service: 800-523-2233
- Conversion & Portability: 877-320-0484
- Claims: 888-563-1124
- Medical Underwriting: 800-331-7234
- Local Representative: Roslyn Ericksen | Phone: 206-292-7141 | Email Roslyn Ericksen