PDS Public Records & Information

A public record is any state or local record relating to the conduct of government or the performance of a government function. All public records maintained by Planning and Development Services (PDS) are available for public inspection, unless the law specifically exempts them. You are entitled to access public records under reasonable conditions, and to make copies of those records upon paying the cost of making the copy. Planning and Development Services (PDS) is committed to making its public records easily accessible to the public.  There are no fees associated with inspecting records.  If you would like copies, Snohomish County has adopted a fee schedule.

What kinds of records are available at PDS?

PDS creates and maintains current and historical records that are related to land and property development in unincorporated Snohomish County, such as applications, site plans, house plans, and permits. Examples include: 

  • Permit histories organized by Property Tax Account Number
  • Land use files (subdivisions, plats, short plats, boundary line adjustments, conditional use permits, zoning adjustments, etc.). 
  • Permits for commercial construction (townhomes, multifamily and commercial buildings)
  • Permits for residential construction (homes, accessory buildings and structures)
  • Permits for placement of mobile homes
  • Temporary dwellings
  • Land development activities (drainage and grading)
  • Right of way and driveway access permits
  • Bonds for stormwater and drainage facilities
  • Flood hazard permits
  • Forest practice permits
  • Shoreline permits
  • Code enforcement complaints
  • Permits for underground/above ground storage tanks and removals of storage tanks
  • Fire investigation reports
  • Certificates of occupancy and fire code annual inspections

PDS only holds records for unincorporated Snohomish County.  If your property is within a city's limits, please contact that city. To find if you are in a city or unincorporated Snohomish County, you may look up your property on the PDS Map Portal.

Research/Information Requests for PDS Records

NEW ONLINE RECORDS TOOL AVAILABLE!!! You may now access PDS records online using the PDS Online Records search tool. If you have questions about using the records search tool, please read the How-to Guide or contact the records room staff at 425-388-3622 for assistance. Please note that not all PDS records are available through the PDS Online Records search tool. This is because some of our records are still in paper and/or microfiche, and the process to digitize this old material is ongoing and expected to take several years. If you do not find what you are looking for, please fill out an Information Request Form and the Records Room will try to locate the files for you (see below).

Alternatively, for simple research requests or to review files on paper and microfiche, you may complete our Information Request Form which will be sent to the PDS Records Room. The PDS Records Room is currently open to walk-ins. However, PDS staff are fulfilling records and information requests electronically, and strive to review and respond to inquiries within 5 business days. We typically receive a high volume of requests and work as quickly as possible to get you what you need. Please do not submit duplicate requests via phone, email and one of the online forms below. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Public Records Requests

If you cannot find what you are looking for on the PDS Online Records search tool or via an Information Request, you may submit a formal Public Records Request. To learn more about completing a Public Records Request at Snohomish County, please visit the county's Public Disclosure Process page. To submit a formal Public Records Request under RCW 42.56, please visit the Snohomish County Public Request Portal.  

Other Jurisdictions Records and Information

Some records and information related to the development and permitting process are located at other jurisdictions:

  • For general property, permit, or zoning information and questions, please contact Ask Permit Tech.
  • For septic permits and as-built drawings for septic and well systems, please contact the Snohomish County Health District. You can search online for records through the Health District's Drainfield Awareness and Vital Education web page. If you are unable to locate the records, contact the Snohomish County Health Department at (425) 339-5250. Additional information may be found on the Health Department's public records web page.
  • For hazardous spills, please contact your local Fire District.
  • For sewer systems, please contact your local Sewer District.
  • For electrical permits, contact Washington State Department of Labor and Industries at 425-290-1309.

Other Publicly Available Online Information

The county provides online access to the following resources at no cost:

Oso Slide Information

Information about the 2014 Hwy 530 Slide can be found on the following pages:

SR 530 Permitting & Code Documents

SR 530 Slide-Permit & Building Info