News & Media Relations
Most Recent | View All
Media & The Press
The Snohomish County Sheriff's Office is committed to responding to media requests as quickly as possible, without jeopardizing the accuracy of information.
Public Information Officer (PIO)
The lead PIOs for the Sheriff's Office are Director of Communications Shari Ireton and Communications Specialist Courtney O'Keefe. Lieutenants may serve in the PIO role on weekends and when the director of communications is not available. The on-duty PIO can be reached for breaking news inquiries at all hours via the media line at 425-249-6263. For non-breaking news stories, contact the director of communications.
Information about active events or ongoing incidents may also be posted on the Sheriff's Office official Twitter and Facebook accounts.
Public Records Requests
In an effort to maintain compliance with the requirements of the Public Records Act and relevant Washington State Public Records laws, requests for copies of police reports, or information beyond the scope of the information provided by the PIO, should be made to our Public Records Unit.
Information the PIO Won't Typically Release
- Booking photos (“mug shots”) or other inmate information restricted per RCW 70.48.100 unless it is to assist our agency in conducting an active investigation.
- Evidence information that could adversely affect a court proceeding.
- Identity of deceased persons before official notification from the Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office.
- Identity of juveniles (individuals under 18 years of age).
- Information which may compromise an investigation or jeopardize the safety of agency personnel.
- Previous criminal history information of any person.
- Status of persons turned over to medical or mental health facilities, or Child Protective Services.
- Victim or witness identities.
At approximately 1 p.m. on Monday, the Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue team responded to the Pacific Crest Trail to search for a 34 year-old hiker from Germany who was ill-equipped for the winter weather storm in the mountains. Additional Info...
Search operations have been suspended for the Vesper Peak hiker, 28 year-old Samantha Sayers, who has been missing since late August 1. Additional Info...