Frognal Estates, formerly known as Horseman's Trail, is an approved 112-lot single-family subdivision. It is an assembly of three currently forested parcels totaling 22.34 acres in the Picnic Point neighborhood, an area between Mukilteo and Edmonds.
Because development of this site requires substantial grading and may have off-site environmental impacts, Snohomish County required supplemental environmental review of the possible impacts. This review is called an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). A Draft EIS was issued on July 23, 2014 and a Final EIS was published on September 13, 2015. In October 2015, an appeal of the Final EIS was filed. That appeal has since been denied.
Once the environmental review is complete, it is possible to finalize the review of the proposed subdivision, per the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) requirements. If measures to mitigate the environmental impacts of the development are identified in the environmental review, then those measures may be required as part of the subdivision approval. This is what occurred with the Frognal Estates development project.
- September 13, 2015: Final EIS was published.
- October 2, 2015: An appeal of the Final EIS was filed.
- December 30, 2015: Snohomish County submitted its Staff Recommendation (PDF) for Frognal Estates. The recommendation was to approve the project subject to preconditions and conditions.
- May 25, 2016: The Hearing Examiner issued a decision on Frognal Estates (PDF). This decision did three things: (1) affirmed the adequacy of the Environmental Impact Statement, (2) approved a plat alteration of Lot 1 of Regatta Estates, and (3) approved the preliminary subdivision and site plan upon fulfillment of pre-conditions and subject to conditions.
- June 6, 2016: The Regatta Estates Homeowners Association filed an appeal (PDF) from the Hearing Examiner Decision to the County Council.
- June 8, 2016: An appeal was received from the Picnic Point Preservation Committee (PDF) that challenged the Hearing Examiner's decision, and Regatta Estates HOA submitted a revised appeal (PDF).
- July 19, 2016: The Snohomish County Council heard testimony and legal arguments in a closed record appeal hearing (PDF).
- August 1, 2016: Snohomish County Council voted 3-2 to affirm the decision of the Hearing Examiner, granting conditional approval to the Frognal Estates proposal.
- March 6, 2017: On appeal, the King County Superior Court upheld the Snohomish County Council vote affirming the Hearing Examiner Decision in favor of the development proposal.
- April 27, 2017: To comply with the pre-conditions of the project approval from the Hearing Examiner, the applicant submitted revised plans to Snohomish County. The revisions include a document describing the applicant's response and revised plans (PDF) to address the pre-conditions.
- June 12, 2017: PDS completed review of the pre-conditions and determined that had been met.
- September 6, 2017: The property owner submitted plans to Snohomish County to log the property and for limited grading to establish logging road on site.
- November 14, 2018: Permits for logging and early grading were issued, and this work was completed in late 2018.
- August 30, 2019: Permits were issued for full site construction. The site is monitored for erosion and stability by a third party geotechnical engineer and county staff. The applicant posted bonds to ensure continued monitoring and maintenance of erosion control measures that were put in place. Construction of the development site, in accordance with the issued Land Disturbing Activity (LDA) permits, is ongoing. PDS is monitoring the site for compliance with permit conditions.
Project File Numbers
05-123050-SD, 05-123420-BA, and 08-110931-CI