- October 31, 2017: Snohomish County sent a Review Completion Letter (PDF) to the property owner regarding logging and grading permits submitted on September 6, 2017. The letter requests some missing information and changes to comply with conditions imposed on the project by the Hearing Examiner.
- September 6, 2017: The property owner submitted plans to Snohomish County to log the property and for limited grading to establish logging road on site.
- June 12, 2017: Snohomish County completed review of the pre-conditions and determined that they have been met.
- April 27, 2017: To comply with the pre-conditions of the project approval from the Hearing Examiner, the applicant submitted revised plans to Snohomish County. Snohomish County staff are currently reviewing these revisions. The revisions include a document describing the applicant's response to the pre-conditions and revised plans (PDF) for the proposed development that include changes made by the applicant in response to the pre-conditions.
- March 6, 2017: On appeal, the King County Superior Court sided with the Snohomish County Council vote affirming the Hearing Examiner Decision in favor of the development proposal.
- August 1, 2016: Snohomish County Council voted 3-2 to affirm the decision of the Hearing Examiner, granting conditional approval to the Frognal Estates proposal.
- July 19, 2016: The Snohomish County Council listened to testimony by parties of record and legal arguments from all sides in a closed record appeal hearing (PDF) which considered the two appeals of the Hearing Examiner decision (see updates below). No decisions were made and the Council chose to continue the hearing to August 1, 2016 for deliberations.
- June 8, 2016: An appeal was received from the Picnic Point Preservation Committee (PDF) that challenges the May 25 Hearing Examiner decision recommending approval of the project. Also on June 8, the Regatta Estates HOA submitted a revised appeal (PDF). Both appeals will be heard by the County Council.
- June 6, 2016: The Regatta Estates Homeowners Association filed an appeal (PDF) from the Hearing Examiner Decision to the County Council. Timing of the County Council hearing on this appeal is still to be determined.
- May 25, 2016: The Hearing Examiner issued a decision on Frognal Estates (PDF). This decision does three things, it (1) affirms the adequacy of the Environmental Impact Statement, (2) approves a plat alteration of Lot 1 of Regatta Estates, and (3) approves the preliminary subdivision and site plan upon fulfillment of pre-conditions and is subject to conditions.
- The hearing on began on February 29 and closing arguments were on April 1.
- January 8, 2016: The Hearing Examiner issued an order striking the original hearing date (PDF).
- December 30, 2015: Snohomish County submitted its Staff Recommendation (PDF) for Frognal Estates. The recommendation to the Hearing Examiner is to approve the project subject to preconditions and conditions.
- November 24, 2015: Snohomish County made a video about Frognal Estates (see below). This is a good refresher for anyone with an interest in the project. In six minutes, you will see the context of the development proposal and learn the planning backstory as well as possible future steps.
Frognal Estates, formerly known as Horseman's Trail, is a proposed single-family subdivision project for 112 lots. It is an assembly of three currently forested parcels totaling 22.34 acres in the Picnic Point neighborhood, an area between Mukilteo and Edmonds.
Because development of this site would require substantial grading and may have off-site environmental impacts, Snohomish County is requiring supplemental environmental review of the possible impacts. This review is called an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). A Draft EIS was issued on July 23, 2014 and a Final EIS was published on September 13, 2015.
It is possible to finalize the review of the proposed subdivision once the environmental review is complete, per the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) requirements. If measures to mitigate the environmental impacts of the development are identified in the environmental review, then those measures may be required as part of the subdivision approval.
- February 29 to April 1, 2015: Project hearing before the Hearing Examiner.
- October 2, 2015: An appeal of the Final EIS was filed.
- September 13, 2015: Final EIS published.
- July 23, 2014: Draft EIS is issued.
- April 27, 2007: Determination requiring SEPA environmental review and request for comments is issued.
- August 4, 2005: Subdivision application is deemed complete.
Note: The dates in the video for the hearing are the original hearing dates, not the rescheduled dates.
Watch a video on this project
Project File Numbers
05-123050-SD, 05-123420-BA, and 08-110931-CI
Environmental Review Documents
PDS Project Manager
Ryan Countryman, Permitting Supervisor
Email Ryan Countryman
Planning and Development Services
3000 Rockefeller Ave, M/S 604
Everett, WA 98201