Meadowdale Beach and Estuary Restoration Project
Snohomish County Parks and Recreation/Surface Water Management Div. of Public Works/Snohomish County Marine Resources Partnership:
This project includes preparing design drawings for permit submittal and final construction bid documents for the preferred alternative that was selected during the feasibility phase. The design consists of removing approximately 130
linear feet of railroad embankment and installing a railroad bridge with a 90-foot opening to address beach access, fish passage, flooding, sediment delivery and maintenance issues due to the narrow culvert (tunnel) under the railroad. Approximately 2 plus acres of created/restored estuary and riparian habitat enhancement is proposed with a second footbridge located over Lund's Gulch Creek. Paths will be relocated to provide viewpoints of the estuary.
- 1971 - Meadowdale Beach Properties purchased with grant and bond monies for the purpose of developing a public park with beach access.
- 1988: Park development project/Agreement with BNSF for shared use of Lund's Gulch Creek culvert for access to beach
- 1997-present: Gravels deposited upstream/downstream of culvert negatively impact beach access, fish passage, sediment transport, and cause flooding
- 2014-2015: Feasibility Study to develop Preferred Alternative to address impacts to beach access, included stakeholder meetings.
- 2015: Awarded 250K Salmon Recovery Funding Board Grant for Preliminary Desgin
- 2016-2019: Investigative studies/Preparation of construction documents, permitting, bid phase
The project is currently in the design phase with 30% submittal due to the county and BNSF in late July/ early August. A community meeting was held on June 21, 2017. Meeting materials posted below with Meeting Minutes pending. A contract for a cost/benefit analysis by Earth Economics is pending approval by County Council. Next steps include a stakeholder meeting with Organizations, preliminary meetings with permitting agencies and granting agencies. A formal submittal of the Preliminary Design is due 12/9/17 in accordance with Washington State RCO administered Salmon Recovery Funding Board Grant.
Project Schedule (tentative)*:
- Investigative studies/Preliminary Design - Complete December 2017
- 90% Design/Cost Estimate/Project Specifications - Complete Summer 2018
- Permitting - 2018/2019
- Complete Bid Package/Advertise for Bid - Fall 2019
- Construct - 2020
Funding Process for Construction
- Funding Strategy Meetings - Ongoing
- Meet with Grant Agencies - Fall 2017
- Develop Grant Proposals/Applications- 2018
- Organization Stakeholder Meeting - Late July (Doodle Poll pending)