To become legally married in Washington state, you must: 

  1. Apply for and receive a marriage license
  2. Participate in a civil or religious ceremony in Washington State
  3. Complete and return the Department of Health Certificate of Marriage
  1. 1. Apply for a license
  2. 2. Participate in a ceremony
  3. 3. Complete and return certificate

Couples may apply for a Washington State marriage license in person or by mail through the Recording Division. After receiving a completed application and fee, we will issue a license to use at your ceremony.

The license is valid (can be used) the third full day after Recording issues you the license and expires 60 days after being issued. The three day waiting period cannot be waived under any circumstance, including court order.

In person

  1. Visit the Snohomish County Customer Service Center to apply in person. Both parties must be present unless one party has already signed the application in front of a notary.
  2. Recording staff will swear you in and give you a blank marriage license application form to complete.
  3. Sign the application in front of a Deputy Auditor.
  4. Pay the $70.00 fee by cash, money order, cashier's check, Visa, or Mastercard. Personal checks are not accepted.
  5. Recording staff will issue your marriage license, a Certificate of Marriage, and give you an information packet.

By mail

If applying by mail, we recommend submitting the completed and notarized application and payment 30 days before your marriage ceremony. This will allow Recording enough time to process the application and send your license by mail.

  1. Download the Marriage License Application (PDF).
  2. Complete the application in blue or black ink in clear, legible writing.
  3. Sign the application in front of a notary and have them sign it and attach their seal.
  4. Include a money order or cashier's check for $70.00, payable to the Snohomish County Auditor. Personal checks are not accepted.
  5. Mail the completed application, attached submission form, and fee to:
    Snohomish County Auditor's Office - Recording Division
    300 Rockefeller Ave M/S 204
    Everett, WA 98201
  6. The Recording Division will process your application and mail you your marriage license, a Certificate of Marriage, and an information packet.

Special Circumstances

Applicants under 18 years old

17 year olds

Any applicants who are 17 years old must have the consent of a custodial parent or legal guardian. 17 year olds must apply in person with the custodial guardian or legal guardian present. 

Applicants must also bring:

  1. Proof of age, such as a driver's license or birth certificate
  2. Proof of legal guardianship, such as a birth certificate or court orders.

16 year olds and younger 

Applicants who are 16 years old or younger must have the consent of Superior Court. In Snohomish County, please contact Juvenile Court Services at 425-388-7869 for more information.


Emancipated minors 

Emancipated minors must present court emancipation paper specifically allowing the minor to marry.

Address Confidentially Program Participants

If you participate in the state's Address Confidentiality Program, you may call in advance to set up an appointment or simply tell the Recording staff member assisting you.

Staff will ensure that you and your significant other can complete your marriage license application in a private setting and that your marriage records remain closed to public view.