Housing & Community Services

The Office of Community and Homeless Services (OCHS), the Office of Housing and Community Development (OHCD) and the Office of Weatherization and Energy Assistance (OWEA) operate within the Housing and Community Services Division (HCS) of the Snohomish County Human Services Department. They administer programs that provide a wide range of community development and housing-related services to Snohomish County citizens.

Primary Responsibilities

We are primarily responsible for administering, monitoring, and supporting the following federal, state, and local fund sources which total approximately $25 million annually:

Fenn-Jorstad self Sufficiency Matrix

In 2013 the Human Services Department developed the Fenn-Jorstad Self Sufficiency Matrix (Matrix) which is intended for human services professionals in social services settings. The Matrix is an assessment and screening tool that captures where a respondent is at any given moment with regards to that respondent’s level of self-sufficiency across 16 life domains: English Comprehension and English Literacy, Housing, Food, Transportation, Childcare, Children’s Education, Employment, Financial/Income, Skills for Daily Functioning, Social and/or Family Support, Security, Legal-Civil, Legal-Criminal, Healthcare, Mental Health and Substance Use. Within each life domain are four categories into which the respondent could be located at the time of assessment: in crisis, at risk, safe, and self-sufficient.

Each life domain includes a series of indicators developed with coordinated entry in mind and each indicator is objective. The Matrix is used as part of the Snohomish County Coordinated Entry and Assessment System. County staff have created crosswalks from the domains to tailored services to facilitate referral and connection to the best available services that individual client’s may need. The Matrix is a tool is used by helping professionals in Snohomish County to develop individualized client centered goals and services plans, and track client progress towards each individual client's ultimate self-sufficiency level.

Written permission is required for use of the Fenn-Jorstad Self Sufficiency Matrix. To request permission please complete the form below and submit to:

Snohomish County Human Services Department
Holly Shelton, Supervisor OCHS
3000 Rockefeller Ave., M/S 305
Everett, WA 98201

Or submit the form by email the form to Holly Shelton or by email to Jackie Anderson.

Fenn Jorstad Self Sufficiency Matrix Use Request Form (PDF)

Point in Time Reports

The PIT information has been moved to a new Point In Time webpage.

Affordable Housing Production Plan

In 2006, the Office of Housing and Community Development and the Office of Community and Homeless Services convened a stakeholder work group with representatives from the public housing authorities, non-profit housing developers, public and private funding, lenders, and social service providers to create the Affordable Housing Production Plan (AHPP). The AHPP contains targets for the production and preservation of affordable housing units between 2007-2017.

Housing & Other Assistance

If you need housing or other assistance, please contact one of the following resources:

  • Homeless Veterans: a webpage listing referral information for services available to Snohomish County veterans, their families, and/or the community at large. Also, consult the Network of Care website that brings together multiple services in a one-stop-shopping format for service members, veterans, and their families.
  • North Sound 2-1-1: Dial 2-1-1 from your phone for more information or visit the statewide WA211 website to find your local 211 office and search the database for information based on your zip code.
  • Housing Authority of Snohomish County (HASCO): Call 425-290-8499 for further information.
  • Everett Housing Authority (EHA): Call 425-258-9222 for additional information.
  • Washington Connection: A web-based portal providing information and referral to county, state, and federal programs; eligibility and/or applications can be completed online for some programs.