Visit or click on their logo below to start. 


If you are unable to submit a petition electronically you can:
  • Call our office at 425-388-3638 for assistance
  • Print out the appropriate forms packet (see below), complete and bring them into our office  
Please note that petitions are processed on a first come, first served basis.  Petitions that are received electronically after hours will be processed first thing in the morning the following court day. 

Civil Protection Orders

Anti-harassment/Stalking, Domestic Violence, Extreme Risk, Sexual Assault, and Vulnerable Adult

Disclaimer:  The information on this page is provided as a service and a convenience by the Snohomish County Superior Court Clerk's Office.  It is not intended as legal advice to any person. 

Washington State law allows for a person to file a civil case in court asking a judge/commissioner to grant an order to protect them from another person whose behavior is abusive, threatening, exploitative or seriously alarming.  The primary purpose of most is to order the "respondent" to not contact or harm the "petitioner."  

There are different types of protection orders, intended for specific situations. State law establishes who can seek them, who they can protect, who they can restrain, the types of protections and relief they offer, when and where court hearings are conducted, what costs may be incurred.

What Type of Protection Order Should I File?

Use this flowchart to help determine what kind of protection order you need.

What-Type-PO Opens in new window

Click to enlarge picture

Petitioners choose which type of protection order is most appropriate for them to pursue. However, protection orders do not cover everyone’s needs; there may be other legal remedies that are appropriate.

  1. Antiharassment Stalking
  2. Domestic Violence
  3. Extreme Risk
  4. Sexual Assault
  5. Vulnerable Adult
  6. Other Orders

Antiharassment Protection Order (RCW 10.14)

MOST ANTIHARASSMENT CASES ARE FILED AT THE DISTRICT COURT LEVEL.  Please visit the District Court website for further information here.

Only certain antiharassment protection orders can be filed at Snohomish County Superior Court Clerk's Office.  Most antiharassment cases are filed at the District Court level.  Please read the flowchart below to help you understand where your case should be filed.  Antiharassment cases filed in Superior Court have a $53 filing fee.   

Please click on the flowchart below to help you understand where your antiharassment case should be filed.  

Where-File-AH Opens in new window

Click to enlarge picture.

A petition can be filed by:

  • An adult who is a victim of unlawful harassment.
  • Parents, on behalf of their child:
    • Against an adult whose behavior is detrimental to the child.
    • Against a minor who is under investigation or has been adjudicated of an offense against the child.

"Unlawful Harassment" means:
A knowing and willful course of conduct which seriously alarms, annoys, harasses, or is detrimental to such person, and which serves no legitimate or lawful purpose. The conduct shall be such as would cause a reasonable person to suffer substantial emotional distress, and shall actually cause substantial emotional distress to the petitioner, or, when the course of conduct would cause a reasonable parent to fear for the well-being of their child.

"Course of conduct" means:
A pattern of conduct composed of a series of acts over a period of time, however short, evidencing a continuity of purpose.

Forms: (cannot be filed double sided)

File a Protection Order: 

Response: (use to file related documents such as police reports, medical records, text messages, witness statements, etc., or to respond to a protection order filed against you.)

Renew a Protection Order:

Request for Remote Appearance

The Court's preference is for civil protection order hearings to proceed in person. However, pursuant to RCW 7.105.205(2), no later than three judicial days before the hearing, the parties may request to appear remotely by telephone, video, or other electronic means. The Court shall grant any request for a remote appearance unless the Court finds good cause to require in-person attendance or attendance through a specific means. To request a remote appearance, please use the following packet:

Petitions for a new Anti-Harassment protection order can be prepared online and electronically sent to our protection order office for review and submission to the court for consideration.  

At this time, if you want to renew a protection order, you can download the forms available above and send them by email ( or by fax (425-388-3127). Scanning apps are available to download on smart phones which allow you to scan your documents and send them to us by email.

If you want to modify or terminate an existing protection order, please visit our office to obtain court forms.