Run for Office
To become a candidate on the ballot, you must:
- be a registered voter in the district
- meet the qualifications for the office at the time of filing
- follow the steps below
Steps to Become a Candidate
1. Choose an Open Office
You can find open positions in the 2023 Candidate Guide or Scheduled Races.
Candidates may file for only one office.
2. File for Office (May 15-19, 2023)
Filing is open from 9 a.m. May 15 to 4 p.m. (5 p.m. in person) May 19.
Candidates for offices that file with Snohomish County may file:
- Online – Click this link- Preferred method
You must complete your filing by 4 p.m. Friday, May 19
- Email – Send a Declaration of Candidacy to firstname.lastname@example.org during the open period
- Fax – Send a Declaration of Candidacy to 425-355-3444 during the open period
- In Person – File at Snohomish County Elections during business hours
- By Mail - See Candidate Guide
Candidate filings are processed during business hours. Once your candidacy has been approved, you will be on the ballot unless a Withdrawal of Candidacy form is received by 5 p.m. Monday, May 22.
3. Declare Your Candidacy with the PDC (within two weeks of starting campaign)
Once you publicly announce your candidacy or organize a campaign committee, you have two weeks to make a formal declaration of candidacy with the Public Disclosure Commission (PDC).
4. Submit Your Candidate Statement
Let voters know about you and your qualifications by submitting a candidate statement and photo to be published in the local voters' pamphlet. A submission link will be sent via email once your filing has been approved. Precinct Committee Officer (PCO) candidates do not submit candidate statements or photos.
See the 2023 Candidate Guide for information about submission requirements.
Candidate Workshops and Campaign Finance Seminar
Snohomish County Elections will present virtual and in-person candidate workshops and will host a campaign finance seminar by the Public Disclosure Commission. Click here for printable flyer (PDF) Candidate Workshops and Seminar Candidate Workshops and Campaign Finance Seminar
Did you miss candidate filing week? You may file as a Write-in Candidate until 8 p.m. on Election Day. A fee is required if filing within 18 days of an election.