About County Council Redistricting
The Snohomish County Redistricting Committee is drawing county council districts to reflect the 2020 Census data. Every ten years boundaries of county council districts are updated to reflect how populations have changed.
State law requires that the plan for the redrawn council district boundaries be consistent with the following criteria:
- Each internal director, council, or commissioner district shall be as nearly equal in population.
- Each district shall be as compact as possible.
- Each district shall consist of geographically contiguous area.
- Population data may not be used for purposes of favoring or disfavoring any racial group or political party.
- To the extent feasible, the district boundaries shall coincide with existing recognized natural boundaries
- To the extent possible, the district boundaries shall preserve existing communities of related and mutual interest.
- The council appoints four members to a districting committee, two from each of the largest major political party.
- The four council-appointed members select a fifth member to serve as chair.
- The districting committee selects a districting master who is qualified to redraw the district lines consistent with the legal criteria.
- The districting master draws the districting plan.
- The districting committee holds a public hearing on the districting plan.
- The districting committee adopts the submitted or amended districting plan, with any amendments requiring four affirmative votes.
- The districting committee files the plan with the county council.
- The county council adopts the submitted or amended plan, with any amendments requiring four affirmative votes. Amendments are also limited to include no more than 1% of the population in any district.
Regular Meeting Schedule
The Districting Committee meets every Wednesday at 4:00 p.m. Meetings will be held online and open to the public via Zoom.
Regular Meeting Agenda includes:
- Call to Order
- Approval of the Agenda
- Approval of Minutes
- Chair's Report
- Old Business
- New Business
- Committee Comments, Questions and Suggestions
Next Committee Meeting
Wednesday, Aug. 11 at 4:00 p.m. - Agenda and zoom link to come
Agendas and Meeting Minutes
Agendas, meeting minutes and meeting video can be found on the County Council's Meetings & Webcasts page. Agendas are available prior to meetings under Upcoming Events. Video and minutes are available following approval under Available Archives | 2021 | Miscellaneous.
The County Districting Committee is eager to hear from the community as we redraw county council district lines. There are lots of ways to get involved, learn more, and share your ideas and comments:
- Public events-
- Districting Committee Meeting
4:00p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 11
Snohomish City Council Chambers
Robert J. Drewel Building
3000 Rockefeller Ave.
Everett, WA 98201
Map to parking and location
ZOOM WEBINAR REMOTE PARTICIPATION INFORMATION
To join online, click on the Zoom Webinar Link: https://zoom.us/j/98357673390
To call into the meeting, dial: +1 253 215 8782 or +1 301 715 8592
Meeting ID: 983 5767 3390
Zoom Webinar Instructions
- Districting Committee Meeting
- Email - Comments can be emailed to email@example.com
- Mail - Comments can be mailed to Snohomish County Districting Committee, c/o Snohomish County Council, Attn: Debbie Eco, Clerk of the Committee, 3000 Rockefeller Ave., M/S 609, Everett, WA, 98201
- Newsletters - Sign up for the our 2021 Redistricting e-newsletter on our website. Select "2021 County Redistricting" option from the "Districting" topic.