Every 10 years following the U.S. Census, Snohomish County is required to redraw the boundaries of its council districts. State law requires that the plan for the redrawn council district boundaries be consistent with the following criteria:
- Each internal director, council, or commissioner district shall be as nearly equal in population.
- Each district shall be as compact as possible.
- Each district shall consist of geographically contiguous area.
- Population data may not be used for purposes of favoring or disfavoring any racial group or political party.
- To the extent feasible, the district boundaries shall coincide with existing recognized natural boundaries
- To the extent possible, the district boundaries shall preserve existing communities of related and mutual interest.
- The council appoints four members to a districting committee, two from each of the largest major political party.
- The four council-appointed members select a fifth member to serve as chair.
- The districting committee selects a districting master who is qualified to redraw the district lines consistent with the legal criteria.
- The districting master draws the districting plan.
- The districting committee holds a public hearing on the districting plan.
- The districting committee adopts the submitted or amended districting plan, with any amendments requiring four affirmative votes.
- The districting committee files the plan with the county council.
- The county council adopts the submitted or amended plan, with any amendments requiring four affirmative votes. Amendments are also limited to include no more than 1% of the population in any district.
2021 Districting Committee Members
Jim Langston (Republican Appointee)
Hillary Moralez (Democrat Appointee)
Bill Phillips (Democrat Appointee)
Sid Roberts (Republican Appointee)
Regular Meeting Schedule
The Districting Committee meets every Wednesday at 4:00 p.m. Meetings will be held online and open to the public via Zoom.
Regular Meeting Agenda includes:
- Call to Order
- Approval of the Agenda
- Approval of Minutes
- Chair's Report
- Old Business
- New Business
Next Committee Meeting
Wednesday, Jan. 20 at 4:00 p.m. - Agenda with Zoom link
Agendas and Meeting Minutes
Agendas, meeting minutes and meeting video can be found on the County Council's Meetings & Webcasts page. Agendas are available prior to meetings under Upcoming Events. Video and minutes are available following approval under Available Archives | 2021 | Miscellaneous.