License a Kennel or Animal Business

The information on this page applies to homes and businesses in unincorporated Snohomish County (outside city limits). Find out if your address is in our service area.

A Snohomish County kennel or animal business license is required whenever four or more dogs are owned, kept, or maintained on the premises of any person.

  1. Private Kennels: Households w/ 4-10 Dogs
  2. Animal Businesses & Commercial Kennels

If your household has four to ten dogs, Snohomish County considers your home to be a Private Kennel. Private Kennel owners must have an annual kennel license and pet licenses for each dog.

Private Kennels must have a fenced area appropriate for the breed and number of dogs, provide suitable shelter, and are subject to periodic inspections by Animal Services.

Apply for a Private Kennel License

1. Make sure you live in unincorporated Snohomish County

Our jurisdiction covers the parts of Snohomish County that are outside city and town limits. If you live within city limits, check local kennel requirements with your municipal animal services agency.

Check your address in our map tool to see if you live in our service area.

2. Gather proof of microchips or spay/neuter

Pets who have a microchip and/or have been spayed or neutered get a discount!

Proof of microchip includes: a letter or email from your vet, a microchip certificate, or vet bill or adoption paperwork with your pet’s name and microchip number.

Proof of spay/neuter includes: a letter or email from your vet, adoption paperwork stating your pet was spayed or neutered, or other vet documentation indicating your pet has been altered.

3. Complete a private kennel license application

By Mail

Print an application form (PDF / fillable PDF) and submit with the correct fee to:

Snohomish County Auditor
Animal Services Division
3000 Rockefeller Ave. M/S 306
Everett, WA 98201-4046

Payment methods accepted: Personal check, cashier’s check, money order


Complete an application form (PDF / fillable PDF) and submit to Our staff will contact you for payment over the phone.

Payment methods accepted: Credit card