License a Kennel or Animal Business
The information on this page applies to homes and businesses in unincorporated Snohomish County (outside city limits). Find out if your address is in our service area.
A Snohomish County kennel or animal business license is required whenever four or more dogs are owned, kept, or maintained on the premises of any person.
If your household has four to ten dogs, Snohomish County considers your home to be a Private Kennel. Private Kennel owners must have an annual kennel license and pet licenses for each dog.
Private Kennels must have a fenced area appropriate for the breed and number of dogs, provide suitable shelter, and are subject to periodic inspections by an Animal Control Officer.
Snohomish County Auditor
Animal Services Division
3000 Rockefeller Ave. M/S 306
Everett, WA 98201-4046
Payment methods accepted: Personal check, cashier’s check, money order
Payment methods accepted: Visa and Mastercard
Payment methods accepted: Cash, credit card, check
Snohomish County issues the following animal business and commercial kennel licenses:
- Animal Shelter: A facility that accepts from the public impounded, stray, homeless, abandoned, or unwanted animals for temporary housing for a period of time not to exceed six months.
- Commercial Kennel - Boarding: A place where more than one animal is kept by contractual arrangement with the owner, whether for compensation or not, for any purpose other than medical treatment, breeding, or permanent disposal.
- Commercial Kennel - Non-boarding: A place where the owner or occupant of the property keeps at least four and not more than 25 total dogs, including puppies.
- Grooming Parlor: Any establishment, public or private, where animals are bathed, clipped, or combed for compensation.
- Pet Shop: Any person or establishment that acquires, holds, or offers animals not bred and whelped from the facility for the purpose of sale or resale to the public.
- Combination: Commercial kennel with grooming parlor.
To obtain a license, you must submit the following information:
- A completed Snohomish County Kennel / Animal Business License Application (PDF)
- A drawing of the property including the lot dimensions, the size and location of the kennel runs and/or animal housing in relation to building and property line(s) including setbacks, street names, and cross streets
- Legal description of the property including property tax account number
- The correct fee
- Corporations must submit the name, home address, and telephone number of each of its officers, directors, and shareholders and the number of shares held by each if there are fewer than 10 shareholders
Commercial boarding kennel and animal shelter license applicants must also submit proof of general liability insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 as required by SCC 6.01.190. The policy must show Snohomish County as the certificate holder.