Water/Sewer Assistance Program
The Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) provides funds to assist low-income households with water and wastewater (sewer) bills to restore and prevent disconnection of households water/wastewater services. The program’s intent is to assist low-income households meet to their immediate home water needs. In Washington State, LIHWAP assists households whose incomes are at or below 150% of the federal poverty level. LIHWAP is funded by a federal block grant program to help low-income Washington State households maintain affordable, dependable utility services and avoid shutoff.
- The Water/Sewer Assistance Program provides one-time assistance per program year in paying water and/or sewer bills for eligible households.
- LIHWAP assists households by applying an assistance grant directly to the water provider on behalf of the eligible household.
- The program provides grants up to a maximum amount of $2500 (depending on income, household size, type of housing, and heat bill) towards arrearage/past-due balance.
Household and income eligibility for Low Income Household Water Assistance Program are the same as for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).
Basic LIHWAP eligibility is outline as follows:
- Your household has not received a LIHWAP benefit during the current program year, October 1st to September 30th.
- Your household residence is within Snohomish County jurisdiction.
- Household member must be a U.S. citizen or a qualified alien.
- Your household pays for residential water and/or sewer costs either directly to an energy vendor or indirectly through rent.
- The household’s average monthly income is at or below 150% of the federal poverty level (FPL). Below is a chart of the current income levels by household for the current program year.
- Applicants who are eligible for LIHEAP during the current program year are also eligible for LIHWAP for the same program year.
|HOUSEHOLD COUNT||LIHEAP 150% FPG||PSE HELP 80% AMI||CNG WEAF 200% FPG|
Applying for LIHWAP
Please call our main line for water/sewer assistance at 425-388-7314 for a phone interview. Our hours for scheduling interviews will be Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 11:30 am and 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm, except County Holidays.
Note: If you receive a DISCONNECT NOTICE, please contact your water and/or wastewater provider to discuss any concerns.
*ONLINE APPLICATION IS CLOSED. PLEASE CHECK BACK IN OCTOBER 2022 FOR AVAILABILITY*
Apply with the Energy Assistance Application by clicking the link below or scan the QR code and complete the Water Assistance section on the application.
Scan QR code:
Call our LIHWAP team at 425-388-7314 to request an application by mail. Print and mail or fax the LIHWAP Application to:
Energy Assistance Program - LIHWAP
Attn: Ly Nguyen
3000 Rockefeller Ave
Everett, WA 98201
Fax: (425) 388-7311, Attn: Ly Nguyen
Call or email LIHWAP team to schedule an in-person appointment with:
- Ly Nguyen: 425-388-7314 or Ly.Nguyen@co.snohomish.wa.us
Water Shut Off and Disconnection Notice
If your water has been shut off or if you received a disconnection notice, please call Ly Nguyen at 425-388-7314 or email Ly.Nguyen@co.snohomish.wa.us so we can determine your eligibility as soon as possible. Our phone lines are open Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 3:30 pm, except County holidays.
If you received an overdue bill and/or disconnect notice, please call your water and/or sewer provider to determine if you qualify for other assistance while you are waiting to apply for our programs.
For more information and updates about our Water Assistance Program or Energy Assistance Program, please call us at 425-388-3880 Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm, except County holidays.