Index-Galena Rd: MP 6.4-6.9 - Flood Damage Repair
November 2023 Update
Snohomish County Public Works reopened Index-Galena Rd from milepost 6 - 7 on Saturday, November 4, 2023. This project restored essential travel and emergency services on Index-Galena Road and reintroduced recreational access to parts of the Mt. Baker Snoqualmie National Forest and the Wild Sky Wilderness area.
Index-Galena Road from milepost 6.4 to 6.9 was considered a total loss when flooding damaged significant portions of pavement, roadbed, and culverts in November 2006. Due to the project location and proposed road relocation on United States Forest Service (USFS) land, the Index-Galena Road repair required extensive interagency coordination with multiple federal, tribal, state and county government agencies.
The county worked closely with local tribes and environmental agencies to ensure the design and construction of this project minimized any environmental impacts and allowed for the opportunity to repurpose any natural resources that were removed. To overcome seasonal and environmental limitations, construction took place over a three-year period with two winter shutdowns. During this time, crews completed the following:
- Removed asphalt and manmade debris;
- Cleared trees and excavated earth and rocks;
- Realigned and built a mile stretch of roadway;
- Constructed five geosynthetic retaining walls;
- Installed 15 pipe culverts and one armored box culvert;
- Placed onsite mitigation features and engineered log jams;
- Stabilized and planted roadside slopes; and
- Constructed a 180-foot single span bridge.
The budget for the construction of repairs was approximately $20 million. Funding was provided by the Federal Highway Administration Emergency Relief Funds, Federal Highway Administration Federal Lands Access Program Funds, Washington State County Road Administration Board (CRAB) Rural Arterial Program Funds, and Snohomish County Road Funds.
Environmental Review Documents
NOTICE OF AVAILABILITY OF THE FINDING OF NO SIGNIFICANT IMPACT - The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) signed a determination of Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) on April 14, 2017. This finding was based upon the evaluation of the Environmental Assessment (EA) as issued on September 19, 2016, and thoughtful consideration of public and agency input, including comments received at the public hearing on October 12, 2016 for the Index-Galena Road Milepost 6.4 - 6.9 project.
- Notice of Availability (PDF)
- Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) (PDF)
- FONSI Appendix 5: NEPA Email Comments (PDF)
- SEPA Adoption Document, Determination of Nonsignificance (PDF)
- Letter of Concurrence from the US Forest Service (PDF)
- SEPA Postcard Notice, June 2017 (PDF)
- FONSI Postcard Notice, June 2017 (PDF)