- Your Government
- Community & Business Services
- Public Works
- Roads Central
- Current Road Projects
- South County Road Projects
- 36th and 35th Ave W - Lynnwood (2023)
36th and 35th Avenues W
Update - November 2022
Preconstruction field work, including utility relocation and tree trimming, will begin this month as construction of this project is scheduled to begin in spring 2023.
This two-mile corridor improvement project is a joint effort between the City of Lynnwood and Snohomish County. The County’s section of the project is between 164th St SW and Highway 99.
The planned improvements to the existing two-lane roadway include the addition of a two-way center turn lane, sidewalks, bike lanes, bus pullouts, streetlights, landscape features, and stormwater drainage facilities.
The project has reached full funding with the addition of a $3.3 million grant from the Washington State Transportation Improvement Board. As a result, the entire project will be completed in one phase and construction is scheduled to begin in 2023.
- 2018-2019: Environmental survey, geotech study, design, right-of-way acquisition
- 2020-2022: Right-of-way acquisition, develop final design
- 2023: Construction
The process of developing road projects takes several years. Many factors must be considered, including: location of homes; public right-of-way; stormwater runoff, drainage and water quality; wetlands and buffers; hilly terrain; sight distance; soils; traffic volumes; accident history; vehicle and pedestrian access; location of utilities; and information that residents provide about the area.
- $3.3 million grant from the Washington State Transportation Board
- $2.58 million grant from the federal Surface Transportation Program
- $3 million loan from the Washington State Public Works Trust Fund
- Developer mitigation fees
- Snohomish County Road Fund
Land Disturbing Activity (LDA) Permit
This project was reviewed for compliance with Chapter 30.63A (Drainage) and Chapter 30.63B (Land Disturbing Activity) SCC, as well as other applicable regulations in Title 30 SCC. Snohomish County Public Works has exercised its authority under Rule 5001 (Revised 10/2020).
A notice of Land Disturbing Activity (LDA) was published on July 17, 2022. A SEPA checklist and Addendum was completed. The 21-day comment period ended August 8, 2022.
- LDA notice postcard (PDF)
- Design Report (PDF)
- Drainage Report (PDF)
- SEPA Addendum (PDF)
An environmental review of this project was completed in 2016 in compliance with the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA). The National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Categorical Exclusion (CE) Documentation Form was adopted, together with discipline reports prepared for the project. Below are links to view the SEPA and NEPA compliance documents:
- Memorandum addressing items not addressed in NEPA documentation (PDF)
- Determination of Non-Significance (PDF)
- Adoption of Existing Environmental Document (PDF)
- Categorical Exclusion Documentation Form (PDF)
The SEPA public comment period ended on June 27, 2016. If you have questions about how this project might affect your property, please contact Jane Anderson by calling 425-388-6686.
Snohomish County Public Works held a five project Lynnwood area open house on Oct. 12, 2022. This project was among those featured. Below are documents available at the meeting:
Project team members from the City of Lynnwood and Snohomish County held an informational open house about the 35th Avenue West and 36th Avenue West project on November 14, 2012.