36th and 35th Avenues W
Update March 2021
Construction of this project has been divided into two phases moving forward. Phase I will be constructed from 164th St SW to 156th St SW on 35th/36th Ave W. Phase II will be from 156th St SW to 148th St SW on 35th Ave W.
This two-mile corridor improvement project is a joint effort between the City of Lynnwood and Snohomish County. The County’s section of the project is between 164th St SW and Highway 99 and will be constructed in two phases:
- Phase I – 164th St SW to 156th St SW on 35th/36th Ave W
- Phase II – 156th St SW to 148th St SW on 35th Av
The planned improvements to the existing two-lane roadway include the addition of a two-way center turn lane, sidewalks, bike lanes, bus pullouts, streetlights, landscape features, and stormwater drainage facilities for both phases.
- 2018-2019: Environmental survey, geotech study, design, right-of-way acquisition
- 2020-2022: Right-of-way acquisition, develop final design
- 2023: Construction on Phase I
- TBD: Construction on Phase II
The process of developing road projects takes several years. Many factors must be considered, including: location of homes; public right-of-way; stormwater runoff, drainage and water quality; wetlands and buffers; hilly terrain; sight distance; soils; traffic volumes; accident history; vehicle and pedestrian access; location of utilities; and information that residents provide about the area. Full funding for construction has not yet been obtained.
View the City of Lynnwood's project page.
An environmental review of this project was completed in 2016 in compliance with the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA). The National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Categorical Exclusion (CE) Documentation Form was adopted, together with discipline reports prepared for the project. Below are links to view the SEPA and NEPA compliance documents:
- Memorandum addressing items not addressed in NEPA documentation (PDF)
- Determination of Non-Significance (PDF)
- Adoption of Existing Environmental Document (PDF)
- Categorical Exclusion Documentation Form (PDF)
The SEPA public comment period ended on June 27, 2016. If you have questions about how this project might affect your property, please contact Jane Anderson by calling 425-388-6686.
Project team members from the City of Lynnwood and Snohomish County held an informational open house about the 35th Avenue West and 36th Avenue West project on November 14, 2012.