The Adopt-A-Road Program forms partnerships between volunteer groups and Snohomish County Public Works to keep roadsides free of litter and promote community pride. Participants can be families, church groups, businesses, neighborhood groups and more.
Find a Road to Adopt
Review the list of available roads or look on the map of pre-approved roads.
Organize Your Group
- Groups larger than 10 members typically adopt multiple sections of road.
- All participants must be 15 years or older and include one adult for every eight minors.
- The group leader must be 18 years or older. Leaders organize volunteers, compile and submit paperwork, run safe cleanup events and act as the point of contact for the county.
- Each group must commit to clean up their road section twice a year for two years.
- Organizations’ names listed on Adopt-A-Road signs are subject to approval by the coordinator and cannot endorse any political candidate, issue, initiative etc.
- Choose a pre-approved adoptable road within unincorporated Snohomish County.
- Federal and state highways, city streets, and private roads are not eligible under Snohomish County's program. Check with individual cities and WSDOT Adopt-A-Highway for other programs.
- Complete an Application Form and send it via US mail or email to the Adopt-A-Road Coordinator. Contact information is on the sidebar to the right. Feel free to call or email questions.
- Once your adoption request is approved, you will receive a welcome email and will be required to watch a safety-training video.
All members must:
- Watch the Safety Training Video
- Review the Safety Guidelines & Pre-cleanup Checklist
- Review the Traffic Control Plan
- Sign and return the Volunteer Registration form
- All minors must submit a Parent/Guardian Consent form
Plan Your First Clean Up
- Coordinate with the Adopt-A-Road Coordinator to pick up Safety / Clean up Kit (from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday at the Cathcart Operations Facility).
- Be prepared to tell the coordinator how many people you are expecting so the appropriate amount of equipment can be reserved.
After Your Clean Up
- Notify coordinator that garbage bags are ready for pickup.
- Return clean and dry safety equipment back to the Cathcart Operations Facility.
- Submit a Participation Roster via email to coordinator.
- A recognition sign will be installed after your first cleanup and submission of participation roster and volunteer registration forms.