North Creek Regional Trail
February 2021 Update
Snohomish County Public Works has received all permits for Phase I of this project and construction is scheduled to begin in spring 2021.
The North Creek Regional Trail will be located between SR 524 and 183rd St SE, west of Bothell-Everett Highway. This trail will become part of a coordinated regional system that will eventually connect the Sammamish River Burke-Gillman Trail in King County with the Snohomish County Regional Interurban Trail in Everett. This segment of the regional trail will be located west of Bothell-Everett Highway (SR 527), east of North Road and north of 208th Street SE.
The project will be constructed in three phases:
- Phase I - State Route 524 to Sprague Dr - $8 million (construction spring 2021 through fall 2022)
- Phase II - Waxen Rd to 183rd St SE - $5 million (future construction)
- Phase III - Elevated bridge structure between Sprague Dr and Waxen Rd - $7.5 million (future construction)
Elevated Bridge Structure
During Phase III, a new elevated structure will be built between Sprague Drive and 192nd Street SE. This structure will create a passage over North Creek. It will also connect North Creek Trail to North Creek Park. This structure will be nearly a quarter mile long and will be elevated an estimated 20 to 40 feet above ground. Renderings of the design (PDF) for the structure can be viewed online.
Plans are being prepared for three parking areas located along the North Creek Trail. These parking areas will be constructed during Phase I and II of the project.
Snohomish County has received federal funding to prepare the Phase I portion of the project for construction which is scheduled to begin in spring 2021.
In early 2009, Snohomish County began Phase I of its plan which was the trail’s design and the purchase of necessary right-of-way. This phase of the project is partially funded by King County based upon the agreement to mitigate the impacts of the Brightwater Wastewater Treatment Plant located in Snohomish County. Public Works was also awarded a $1 million construction grant for this project from the Washington State Recreation and Conservation Office.
Maps (Neighborhood Sections)
- Figure 3 - 183rd Street Southeast to 13th Avenue Southeast (PDF)
- Figure 4 - 13th Avenue Southeast to Sprague Drive (PDF)
- Figure 5 - Sprague Drive to Filbert Drive (at Grimes Road) (PDF)
- Figure 6 - Filbert Drive (at Grimes Road) to the intersection of SR 524 (PDF)
- Newsletter - February 2021 (PDF)
- Newsletter - October 2013 (PDF)
- Newsletter - October 2011 (PDF)
- Newsletter - February 2011 (PDF)
- Postcard - June 2010 (PDF)
- News Release - June 2010 (PDF)
Environmental Review and Documents
An environmental review of the North Creek Trail project was completed in compliance with the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA). An environmental checklist was prepared on June 28, 2012. A Determination of Nonsignificance (DNS) and Notice of Land Disturbing Activity Permit were issued on July 10, 2012. The documents were posted on the web page for review and available for viewing at Snohomish County public works in Downtown Everett. The 21-day comment and appeal period ended on August 6, 2012.