Tips - During a Flood
- Keep a battery powered radio tuned to a local station; follow all emergency instructions. Call Snohomish County Department of Emergency Management for current information on flood levels and road closures, 425-388-5088.
- When flooding is imminent, but only if time permits:
- Turn off all gas and water mains at the main valve.
- If your main electrical switch is in a dry area, turn it off. If it is not, leave it on and get to safety.
- Be prepared to evacuate. If advised to evacuate, do so immediately. Evacuation is much simpler and safer before flood waters become too deep for ordinary vehicles to drive through.
- If you are caught in your building by rapidly rising water, call 911 for help. Bring your family and pets to a higher floor or to the roof. Take warm, weatherproof clothing, a flashlight, a portable radio, and a cellular phone.
- Stay out of flooded areas.
- Climb to higher ground and stay there until the flood waters recede or until you are rescued.
- Do not drive where water is over the road. Flooded roads may obscure high hazard situations such as washouts. Do not drive past barricades.
- If you come to a flooded area, turn around immediately and go another way.
- If your car stalls in a flooded area, abandon it as soon as possible. Walk to higher ground in the direction you came from.
- Keep your radio tuned to a local station and listen for flood updates and road closures.
- Follow recommended evacuation routes. Back roads and shortcuts may be blocked by flood waters. Most deaths from floods occur when people drive on flooded roads.
- Descriptions of the four flood phases
- All Real-Time Gages by Basin (list)
- Real-Time Flood Information System (map)
|24-Hour Flood Warning Information||Skykomish, Snoqualmie, Snohomish and Pilchuck Rivers: 425-388-3653|
Stillaguamish River: 425-388-3702
|Road Conditions and Closures||Snohomish County Road Maintenance: 425-388-7500 or 800-562-4367, ext. 7500|
Snohomish County Department of Emergency Management (DEM): 425-388-5088
Note: May Creek Bridge Number 559 near Gold Bar is preauthorized to close during flood events.
|Requests for Assistance (Non-emergencies)||Snohomish County DEM: 425-388-5088|
|Volunteer for a Sandbagging Crew||Snohomish County DEM: 425-388-5088|