View Other Items in this Archive | View All Archives | Printable Version

Suspect in Custody Following Multiple Shots Fired Incidents

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:  October 16, 2014 

CONTACT: Shari Ireton, Director of Communications, Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office, 425-388-3377, Media line: 425-249-6263

Marysville, Wash. —  The Snohomish County Multiple Agency Response Team is investigating a shots fired incident at the intersection of 51st Ave NE and Grove St. One sergeant from Marysville Police Department was injured during the incident and one suspect, who was also injured, has been taken into custody.

At around 9:15 p.m. there were multiple calls to 911 of shots being fired.  Snohomish County deputies confirmed that an unmanned patrol car at the Granite Falls Police Station had the windows shot out and several rounds went into the police station.  A call also came in from the 10700 block of Mountain Loop Hwy where numerous shots were heard.  A witness reported that the suspect vehicle was a white truck with a brown truck bed.

At around 9:45 p.m. additional calls came into 911 of shots fired at the Lake Stevens Police Department.  A patrol car was damaged as well as another vehicle and an animal control vehicle.  A reader board outside the station and the building were also damaged.  No injuries were reported at either incident.

In Marysville, police officers spotted the suspect vehicle on 64th Ave NE around 10:10 p.m..  The suspect stopped the vehicle and shots were fired.  The suspect then got back into the truck and drove west on 67th Ave NE. The suspect slowed the truck and more shots were fired near Grove Elementary School. The suspect continued to just east of the intersection of 51st Ave NE and Grove St where he stopped the vehicle. More shots were fired.  The suspect obeyed officer commands to get out of the vehicle and at some point officers report that they observed the suspect tossing a rifle from the vehicle.

The suspect is a 43 year-old Granite Falls man and the Marysville sergeant, who has been with the police department for 19 years, are being treated at Providence Regional Medical Center. The status of both are unknown at this time.

At this time it is unknown if all these incidents are related.   

The next media briefing will be at 4 a.m.