April 24, 2023 - April 26, 2023
Emergency Operations Center
720 80th St SW, Bldg A
Everett, WA 98203
L0105: Public Information Officer Basics (Basic Academy course)
Monday, April 24, 2023
To equip participants with the skills needed to be full or part-time PIOs, including oral and written communications; understanding and working with the media; and basic tools and techniques to perform effectively as a PIO, both in the proactive/ advocacy times and crisis/emergency response.
The learner must achieve a minimum passing score of 75% on final knowledge assessments or demonstrate mastery on performance assessments or research assignments to earn the IACET CEU.
Selection Criteria: This course is intended for newly appointed emergency managers from Federal, state, local, tribal, territorial, and emergency management agencies, and prospective professionals transferring from another discipline to emergency management.
ACE: Level: Upper Division
ACE: Credit Hours: 1
******This registration places you on a WAITLIST for the L0105. Limited seating is available. *****
Priority seating will be given to those in Snohomish County who are actively engaged as a PIO.
An email will be sent towards the end of the month informing you if you have been selected to attend the L0105 class. If you are selected, the email will give you directions on how to apply to NETC-EMI. A course "coupon code" will accompany that email. This code allows you access to the course, and allows EMI to see that you have been vetted in by Snohomish County. You will need to provide your Prerequisites at this time. There will be specific instructions to follow.
- Using the strategic communications planning model, develop a public awareness campaign (95%)
- Using the strategic communications planning model, develop an incident communications strategy (5%)
- Indicate the purpose of a public awareness campaign.
- Identify the steps in developing a public awareness campaign.
- Develop a strategy for an awareness campaign on a selected topic.
- Change the method of developing a plan to follow the 8-step StratCom process.
- Demonstrate the role and function of the PIO in both day-to-day emergency environments.
- Compare actions PIOs can take to work with the news media during day-to-day and emergency situation.
- Describe different public information written products.
- Apply effective news release writing guidance.
- Adapt or repurpose written media products for social media.
- Describe what types of impressions specific body language might convey during an interview.
- Identify elements of an interview the PIO should consider ahead of time.
- Identify steps a PIO needs to take to prepare for and conduct a news interview.
- Demonstrate effective techniques for on-camera interviews.
IS0029.a: Public Information Officer Awareness
THIS COURSE REQUIRES THE COMPLETION OF THE PREREQUISITE IS-29: PIO AWARENESS. DO NOT APPLY IF YOU HAVEN'T COMPLETED THIS PREREQUISITE.