- You are here:
- Parks and Facilities
In 1903, the construction of an Everett public library was financed by a $25,000 grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. Construction of the new building began in May 1904 and the Everett Carnegie Library opened to the public on July 1, 1905. The library building was designed by the renowned local architecture firm of Heide and deNeuf in the Second Renaissance Revival style, and is considered one of the finest examples of its kind. The architects modeled the building primarily after the Carnegie Library in Pomona, California with some reference as a scaled-down version of the 1892 Boston Public Library.
The building served as Everett’s library from 1905 to 1934. From 1934 to 1980, the building was used as a mortuary, whose owners preserved the historic details of the building. In 1980, Snohomish County assumed ownership of the building and the facility was used to serve as offices for the first County Executive, Willis Tucker, when the County adopted a home rule form of governance. As the County government’s size and facilities needs expanded, the building was subsequently used for other County departmental services, and then sat vacant for many years. The building is currently unoccupied.