How do I get a restraining order?
There are several types of restraining orders available to residents of Washington State. Depending on the circumstances will dictate which order is most appropriate.
  • Order of Protection: This order is obtained by a victim of domestic violence. The victim may petition the court asking for protection. If the victim has children with the offender, then the order may be in place for up to 1 year. If no children are in common, then the order can be for lifetime. The victim has the option to have this order lifted at any time. If the offender violates this order, the sanction can be a criminal offense. There is no charge for Protection Orders and they may be obtained at any of the district courts, municipal courts or superior courts.
  • No Contact Orders: These orders arise out of a criminal conviction and provide protection to the victims of certain crimes. A judge places these orders in effect and only the judge can lift these orders. The victim does not, necessarily, have to agree with the order being put into place. Victims can file a motion in front of the sentencing judge to have the order lifted if they believe they are not in danger, however, the final decision is made by the judge.
  • Anti-Harassment Order: This order is for victims of crime who do not fall under the statute for domestic violence. Similar to the protection order, the victim may petition the court to ask for protection. The order may be in effect for up to 1 year. Violation of this order can be a criminal sanction. There is a charge for this order and it varies depending if you obtain the order from a district court, municipal court, or superior court. The victim should contact the court clerk to find out the cost.

Show All Answers

1. How do I get a restraining order?
2. I want a protection order to keep my husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, or other person away from me. Will the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office do this for me?
3. How do I find out if an offender has been released from jail or prison?
4. I feel that a crime has been committed. How do I press charges? Can I report a crime directly to the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office?
5. What is my court date?
6. I am a victim in a criminal case and I want to drop the charges. Can I do that?
7. I was the victim of a crime. Can I get money for what I have lost?
8. I was the victim of a crime, and the defendant was ordered to pay restitution to me. Since then, I have more medical and counseling bills. Will the defendant pay for those too?
9. Why am I not getting my restitution check?
10. How do I collect restitution when I know the defendant is working but isn’t paying?
11. I was the victim of a crime. Can you tell me the name of the defendant and the defendant's next court date?
12. What is the status of my case?
13. Do you have a witness protection program?
14. What kind of counseling services do you provide?
15. Is the prosecutor my attorney?