I feel that a crime has been committed. How do I press charges? Can I report a crime directly to the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office?
The Snohomish County Prosecutor’s Office is a non-investigative agency. In most cases, crimes must be reported to the Sheriff’s Department, a Police Department, or other law enforcement agency which has jurisdiction over the city or county where the crime occurred. For example, if the crime occurred in Everett, it should be reported to the Everett Police Department. If the crime was committed in any unincorporated area of Snohomish County, the crime should be reported to the sheriff.

The crime may be reported to the local law enforcement agency by calling 911 immediately. There are two levels of crimes, misdemeanors and felonies. Misdemeanor offenders can never get more than 365 days in jail. Felony offenders could be sent to prison, depending on the crime. If the offender has committed a felony crime, and have been arrested, they will have a First Appearance Hearing the next judicial day after their arrest. If over the weekend, the hearing will be the following Monday. All first appearance hearings are held at 1 p.m. in Snohomish County Superior Court, 1st floor of the courthouse. At this hearing the offender will be advised of what charge they are being held on and bail amounts will be discussed. After this hearing, the prosecutor’s office will have 72 hours to decide whether or not to charge the case. As a victim, you may want to follow up with the prosecutor’s office to find out if charges will be filed.

On misdemeanor cases, when an arrest has been made, the arresting office will provide the offender with a citation. At the time of their first appearance, the court will provide them with additional court dates. These hearings occur every weekday morning. If the offender was not located by the police and an arrest has not been made, the police will forward the reports to the appropriate prosecutor’s office and the file will be reviewed to determine if charges can be filed. The victim should contact the responding police agency to find out which prosecuting attorneys office the reports have been forwarded to, if they have not heard from the prosecutor’s office directly.

Show All Answers

1. How do I get a restraining order?
2. I want a protection order to keep my husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, or other person away from me. Will the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office do this for me?
3. How do I find out if an offender has been released from jail or prison?
4. I feel that a crime has been committed. How do I press charges? Can I report a crime directly to the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office?
5. What is my court date?
6. I am a victim in a criminal case and I want to drop the charges. Can I do that?
7. I was the victim of a crime. Can I get money for what I have lost?
8. I was the victim of a crime, and the defendant was ordered to pay restitution to me. Since then, I have more medical and counseling bills. Will the defendant pay for those too?
9. Why am I not getting my restitution check?
10. How do I collect restitution when I know the defendant is working but isn’t paying?
11. I was the victim of a crime. Can you tell me the name of the defendant and the defendant's next court date?
12. What is the status of my case?
13. Do you have a witness protection program?
14. What kind of counseling services do you provide?
15. Is the prosecutor my attorney?